Books by Jan Brett have been huge favorites in our house, especially her story The Mitten. The illustrations are simply amazing, and there are many activities that can be done to encourage learning as we read: sequencing, animal habitats, and so much more!
Each of our children has enjoyed The Mitten – whether a board books, a paperpack, or hardcover. Our copies have been so well-loved that we’ve purchased multiple copies. And I love it so much that it’s earned a permanent spot on our bookshelves – to read when we have kids visiting or the mood strikes.
Here is a collection of ideas and printables that you can use with your kids or classroom when reading The Mitten by Jan Brett.
Activities to Go-Along
- The Mitten winter art activity from Artful Parent
- Felt mitten sewing for kids from Natural Kids
- Mitten song – to learn story sequencing from Mrs. Jones Room
- Mitten handprint ornament in clay from Busy Bugs
- Playdough hedgehog from Fantastic Fun and Learning
- Giant mitten hands-on activity from Teach Preschool
- Snow playdough activity bin from My Small Potatoes
- Paper plate mitten from Teach with Me
- Montessori-inspired mitten activities from PreK & K Sharing
- Montessori-inspired mitten matching from Natural Beach Living
- Sensory play from Little Bins for Little Hands
- Make felt finger puppets
- Hand-knit story props from Itty Bitty Love (SO cute!!)
- Handprint Hedgehog from Fantastic Fun and Learning
- Paper hedgehog with ‘snow’ overlay (so cute!) from Learning with Mrs. Parker
- Paper plate hedgehog from Fiche-Matermelle
- Construction paper hedgehog from Homeschool Den
- Are Mittens Warm? from Classroom Magic
- Mitten science: exploring temperature with Chalkboard Connections
- More mitten science from Creekside Learning
- Hibernation and where animals sleep from Fun4Kids
- The Mitten printable pack from Homeschool Creations
- The Mitten vocabulary word cards from Homeschool Creations
- The Mitten Sudoku puzzles from Homeschool Creations
- The Mitten Even and Odd Number Sort from Homeschool Creations
- The Mitten printables from 1+1+1=1
- The Mitten Qtip printables from 1+1+1=1
- Letter mazes from 1+1+1=1
- The Mitten Unit & Printables from Homeschool Share
- Animals and mittens from the Jan Brett website
- see The Mitten lapbook in action from The Fantastic Five
Read the Story Online
If you don’t have a copy of The Mitten at home, or if you’d like to do something a little different, read it online here.
The Snowy Day Activity Ideas
Like this? Don’t miss my post 35 Activities, Crafts, and Printables for The Snowy Day by Ezra Keats.