Three Letter Word Cards ~ Free Printable

This post may contain affiliate or advertiser links. Read my full disclosure policy .

3 Letter Word Cards - 42 CVC words for children to sound and spell

Looking for an fun {and colorful} way to have your child sound out and spell three letter words? The Three Letter Word Cards contain a list of 42 3-letter CVC words for children to sound and spell using fun picture clues and hands-on learning.

The Three Letter Word Cards include:

• 48 full color picture cards with word prompts {lightly shaded in gray}
  • 48 full color picture cards with no letter or word prompts
  • 2 sheets of color-coded letter tiles {upper and lower case}

Ideas for Using the Word Cards

Three Letter Word Puzzles

1. For early learners – trace the shaded letters using Vis-à-vis markers or dry erase markers
  2. Match the correct letter tile to the letter on the puzzle card
  3. Spell the word with letter tiles using no prompts
  4. Write the letters in the squares using a vis-à-vis or dry erase marker

How We’re Using the 3 Letter Word Cards

We printed off our set onto cardstock and then laminated them to make them a bit more sturdy. {Note: This is how we laminate more inexpensively}. We’re using a cookie sheet as the base for our word cards and have added magnets to the back of the letters. If you are looking for magnets and an expanded set of GREAT letter tiles, All About Spelling has Letter Tile Magnets and Letter Tiles available that are already perforated ~ a huge help!

The letter tiles include vowels in both blue and pink. If you are teaching your child the difference between consonants and vowels, the pink tiles will come in handy to show that they are vowels in the CVC {consonant-vowel-consonant} words.

Ready to have some fun?

3 Letter Word Cards - 42 CVC words for spelling and reading

—->  Download the 3 Letter Word Cards here <—–

I’d love to hear how your children enjoy them!

Supplies We Use

Printables from A to ZEnjoy free printables? If you are looking for something in particular, be sure to check out my Printables from A to Z list, a complete list of every printable I’ve created over the years. Can’t find what you’re looking for? Leave a comment and I’d be happy to help you out!

Note: This idea came from a set of printables that I originally put together several years ago for Zachary, based on a thrift store find from a reader.

Share and Enjoy

Creativity kits for kids!
Would you rather SUBSCRIBE BY RSS?

Comments

1. Thank you so much for these! I love them and I’ve been looking for something like this for a while! I’m so excited to use them with my little guy ;) Thanks for all your hard work and for sharing with all of us…it’s been such a blessing for my family.

2. thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!

3. This great! I perfect for spelling lessons with my big guy and letter recognition with my little one!

4. Thank you! We have started using these cards with our BOB Books.

5. Tanya Covatch says:

These kinda remind me of the Melissa and Doug wooden word puzzles- which we LOVE but keep out of reach because all the little letter pieces can easily go missing. I love that these cards can be used with our AAR letter tiles- Perfect! Thank you! :)

6. Carrie Young says:

Thank you. Having these cards will be so helpful and easy to use. I can see my students using them during center time.

7. These are going in a box tomorrow for Sammy to work on! I wonder if you could make some w/ basic blends (th, sh, ch).

8. Thanks so much! These are awesome! So generous of you to share with everyone.

9. Julie Cerdas says:

Wow! Thank you!

10. Thank you so much! We’re gonna hang onto these ’til our precious wee ones are ready for them. :-)

11. Claire @ angelicscalliwags says:

These have come at such a great time. My daughter, just turned four, has been begging me to read for a year now, but can’t get the hang of blending letters together to make a word. She sight reads words from memory but she’s not quite mature enough to blend. These will be a great addition to her Jolly Phonics program to slow it and her down a little until she is ready for blending. Thanks Jolanthe!

12. These are FABULOUS, Jolanthe! I’m so glad you made the vowels in a separate color from the consonants! I featured your printable as the Free Printable of the Day at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow (and on Pinterest)

13. Tiffany H. says:

I can’t download these…. it just goes to a blank page? Any suggestions?

• You may want to try opening the file in another browser and be sure your adobe is up to date. The file is opening ok for me. Let me know if that doesn’t work. :) —
      Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

14. Thank you for these. I have magnetic letters that we can use over the top -1 in square.

15. Cristina J. Rico says:

this is very helpful for kids..Keep up the good work

16. I’m getting a message that the 3-letter word cards file is damaged. I am unable to print these. Any suggestions? Thank you!!

17. I’m unable to download too, says damaged file:(

18. I also can not download them, we already have all about spelling and these would be great to use with them – it says damaged file. Once you rest I would love a copy!

19. I am not able to download the either. It says the file is damaged.

20. Thank you very much for sharing your materials… Its a blessing for a teacher like me to find a pupil- oriented material that will not only promote learning but also fun .. :)